South Dakota Horse Photo Contest!
We had an excellent adult showing in our first annual South Dakota Horse Photography Contest! There were so many great photos to choose, but we are ready to announce the winner of our adult category!
Contest rules and guidelines:
Please read these rules before submitting your contest entries. Have fun! (Revised 12/17/19)
- Contest runs from December 18, 2019, through 11:59pm CST on December 31, 2019.
- Contest entrants must be South Dakota residents and must fall into one of two age categories at the time of photo submissions.
- Age categories are: Youth (Ages 12 to 17), Adult (Ages 18+)
- Entries must be the original work of the contest participant.
- Entries containing images of a human subject(s) must have prior permission from the subject to have their image duplicated in any form by South Dakota Horse. Photo release forms may be downloaded from this page and must be submitted at the same time as photo entries for each subject appearing in photographs.
- South Dakota Horse is not legally responsible for sharing copyrighted work, or work where the human subject(s) did not give prior permission to have their image used for the South Dakota Horse photo contest.
- Photos must be high-resolution images taken with a DSLR camera or high-end smartphone and at least 640 pixels on the shorter side, and no more than 2000 pixels on the longer side. Images should be no larger than 2MB. Photos must be in JPEG format.
- Photo files must be named in the following format: [Last name].[First name].[Image title].jpg (i.e. Ehrman.Justin.Rideintothesunset.jpg)
- Images must be horse-related; including but not limited to horses alone, horses with riders, horses with other animals, cowboy/cowgirl, rodeo action, ranch photos, scenic South Dakota that includes horses, etc.
- By submitting photographs for consideration in the South Dakota Horse photo contest, entrants agree to keep 100% ownership but allow free, royalty-free use of submitted works for marketing purposes by South Dakota Horse and its affiliates.
- The winning entry in each category will receive a free personal portfolio website to showcase their current and future work, plus hosting for 1 year (value of $500). (If entrant already owns a website, we will offer an advertising package of equal value.)
- All entries will be showcased on SouthDakotaHorse.com and will be considered for marketing use by South Dakota Horse; all entries used by South Dakota Horse will be credited to the owner by mention or social tagging.
- Entries will be judged based on image quality, visual appeal, and creativity.
- The contest will be judged by a panel of equine and photography experts; all votes and decisions are final.